Why Mobile-Friendliness Is Essential to Students at India’s Rajasthan University

Online forms

You probably didn’t see this in the news in the US, but it’s a story that contains lessons for anyone who uses forms workflow software to design and create online forms. At the end of November 2017, students at Rajasthan University in Jaipur faced significant problems submitting online examination forms.

In fact, the university had to extend deadlines twice, with little effect. The problem was that the university’s website was not mobile-friendly. Therefore, students who relied on their smartphones to submit exam forms had to line up at cyber cafes in order to finish out the semester.

It starkly highlights the fact that mobile-friendliness isn’t just something that is nice to have: it is a necessity in today’s world of business and education.

Key Facts and Figures About the Mobile Web

We have all heard about the mobile revolution, and most of us know the statistic that websites get more than half their traffic from mobile devices. As of earlier this year, a study of 77 billion website visits found that 55.79% of those visits were made on mobile devices, while the remaining 44.21% were made in a desktop environment (with a desktop or laptop computer).

That isn’t the entire story, however. People still spend more time on sites they access from a desktop environment than on sites they access from a mobile device. It makes sense, because people accessing sites using a smartphone are likely just looking for quick or general information like store hours or locations rather than digging deep into a topic of interest. Nonetheless, there is a growing proportion of web users who are not just mobile-first, but mobile-only.

Who Is Most Smartphone Dependent?

According to a Pew Research study on smartphone use, adoption of traditional broadband in American homes has slowed in recent years. In other words, more Americans now use their smartphones as their primary means of online access not just away from home, but at home too. In fact, slightly more than 10% of American adults are smartphone-only internet users, possessing a smartphone and not having traditional home broadband. People who rely on smartphones for internet access are likely to be younger, non-white, and have lower incomes. Though figures are similar for urban, suburban, and rural users, rural users are slightly more likely to be mobile-only than are urban and suburban users.

Online forms

Mobile-only users are fairly evenly distributed among urban, suburban, and rural areas.

Essential Mobile Principles for Online Forms

Online forms should, therefore, be designed with the mobile-only user in mind. That may not be as big an issue when designing online forms for employees who primarily use them from their offices in a desktop environment, but it should still be a strong consideration. More workers work remotely, often from home, job sites, client locations, or on the road, and in these situations, mobile-friendliness of online forms is paramount to get the best ROI from them.

Mobile-friendly forms should have less on each page and should have check-boxes big enough to use with a touch screen. They should be swipe-friendly and minimize the amount of typing that users must do. Drop-down menus and multiple-choice options can be excellent ways of reducing how much typing users must do to complete online forms. The last thing you want is for your form users to have to access a desktop environment any time they need to complete a commonly-used or simple form.

Meeting Employees and Clients Where They Are

Businesses that ignore the rise in smartphone and tablet use risk being eclipsed by competitors that are dedicated to mobile-friendliness. PerfectForms is online form software that makes it simple for form designers to make their forms mobile-friendly, so employees and customers can complete forms from mobile devices swiftly and with confidence. Traveling employees can complete reimbursement forms from the road, and e-commerce customers can shop from their phones without hassle.

PerfectForms’ workflow processes have an intuitive user interface that means no programming is required to create beautiful, useful, powerful, accurate forms for an almost unlimited number of applications, from IT to HR to e-commerce. We invite you to browse our case studies and see for yourself how powerful online form software combined with mobile-friendliness saves time, saves money, and strengthens employee and customer loyalty.


Comments are closed.