An error has occured. In a dynamic filter, cannot compare fields of different da

Home Forum Reporting An error has occured. In a dynamic filter, cannot compare fields of different da

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

THis really has foxed me.

I have a field which is alphnumberic in my form.

I have set up the object to report on with a filter. Basically if it is <> 2 ” then don’t show that data value.

When i click on preview I get the message”

An error has occured. In a dynamic filter, cannot compare fields of different data types.

What does this mean?

Anonymous

Does it matter that there is no data in the form, when you try to preview?

ijobling
    Participant

if you have no data in the form when you are trying to preview a report you won’t get this message, but will get a ‘no data to report’ type of message

this error though is indicating that you are trying to compare a VALUE against Text

and would point to the filter you have tried to set up. remove the filter and see you can then preview the report to confirm it is the filter and then check to see that your logic in this filter is valid ( where you just say <> 2 ” doesn’t look to be valid although that could just a typo in your post)

Anonymous

yes it should be field value <> ” “

Anonymous

damn and blast without the filter it works with the filter it fails. I’ve used this before with no problems.

Anonymous

is there a mis-match between an alphnumeric feild and a data list?

ijobling
    Participant

if one field is a VALUE and another is a TEXT then you can get this sort of problem

but if you’ve got another report using the same method, check there to see what is potentially different ?

also.. what sort of ‘filter’ are you using? there are many ways you can work with filters. in the datasource, using Filter Input/Selectors and also in behaviours as well

Anonymous

i set up te data source with the filter so I can filter different text boxes should they contain blank data

ijobling
    Participant

‘different text boxes’ ? If your filter condition is involving more than one form field that could involved or if the datasource is also being used on other ‘value’ based fields

Are you talking about using ONE datasource here? you can of course have as many datasources as you want on the report (and all to the same form if you want)

if you have a text field on a form that may or may not be answered but you only want to see this when it IS answered, then using a seperate datasource can be better

http://www.perfectforms.com/forums/topic/filtering-reports-to-only-show-answered-questions

but also of course, refer to your other reports you mention where you have done this before to see how that was set up

Anonymous

that’s what i’ve done

ijobling
    Participant

sorry, not at all clear what you are trying to say …. what is ‘that’ ? one datasource, more than one datasource, multiple fields in the condition.

what is different you are trying to do here to the report where you have succesfully done this before? comparing what you have working to what you are trying here may show you what is needed.

but if not, export your source form and the report (name them meaningfully so we know which is which) and send them over to us at support@perfectforms.com and maybe we will be able to see what is going on

ijobling
    Participant

On reviewing this, the historical use of ‘ ‘ was not logical and was a ‘workaround’.

<empty> should be used in future.

Any reports that you may already have published will still work if set up using ‘ ‘ but if you have need to publish a new version you should change your filter condition to use <empty> (ie the default you are shown when adding ‘new line’ to the condition)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.