Auto-update parent with child data

Home Forum Parent-Child Forms Auto-update parent with child data

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GeorgeB 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

GeorgeB
    Participant

I have a purchase order form with a child “costing” form for each row in a table.

Each child form is set to save – even if parent is not saved.

When each child is submitted, I would like the cost to be returned to a field in the table.

To achieve this, I set up a button called “refresh” which loops through each row to get data from the child form (“get data from other instance”)

This works, but some people forget to click “refresh”, so I would like to automate the “refresh” process for each submitted child form.

I’ve looked for an event that might trigger the refresh, but “table gains focus” etc. do not seem to work.

Any ideas?

Does the Purchase Order form ever get submitted? If it does, then you could do a run behavior on when the submit button gets pressed before the submit behavior object.

If the user is not required the submit the Purchase Order form think if there is any other thing that they will need to do before closing the form/browser. Put the run behavior on whatever that is.

Workflow software, Process software, Procedure software

GeorgeB
    Participant

Hi Dennis,

The parent form does get submitted.

The idea behind the auto-refresh is to give the user a running total as they are submitting each child costing form.

I also have the refresh process built into the submit button of the parent.

I’ve tried a couple of other events like “table changes field data”, but this relies on the user changing something else in the table. If they are submitting the last costing form, the process is not called.

It can also lead to an infinite loop as I found out the hard way.

What I was hoping for was an event that triggers when the parent form is re-displayed after each child form is submitted.

I can think of two things:

1) a timer object. You could start the timer when the child is created and after a set period of time end the timer and refresh. Of course the problem is determining the right period of time because people will work at different paces.

2) If you could submit the parent after the children are created you could then open the parent again when the child is submitted. The problem with that is that the user won’t get to flip back and forth between the two.

We have some good power users that read this forum. Perhaps one of them can think of something that I have not.

Workflow software, Process software, Procedure software

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.