Building Flash vs HTML Forms

Home Forum General Building Flash vs HTML Forms

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Dennis @ PerfectForms 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

dmiller
    Participant

Can I still build forms on the older flash based platform versus the new HTML forms? I am using an On-Demand account and finding the forms on the new HTML 5 platform to run slow on Internet Explorer 8/9 and tables have lost functionality. Row calculations stopped working and column heading do not word wrap.

Our forms are published in HTML (not HTML5). It is true that different browsers handle HTML in slightly different ways. We try to find a happy medium for them all. We will slowly be discontinuing our support of Flash. I will be happy to help with specific form design issues. Simply fill out a support inquiry form at http://www.perfectforms.com/support_contact.php.

Export your form design and attach a copy of the .PF file to the inquiry by clicking the button labeled Attachments. Please describe in detail which fields and buttons are having problems, and the detail of the problems. I will review your design for you. Our help guide describes how to export your form design: http://www.perfectforms.com/Documentation/manual/html/?d_exportingformsandformdata.htm.

dmiller
    Participant

Thank you for the information Dennis. I need to make updates to my Flash form but I don’t want it to convert to an HTML form when republishing. Is this possible?

Once your account has been switched to HTML all forms will open in HTML once published. I suggest doing a “Save As” and fully testing your form in HTML, then making all of the requisite changes in your production form. Pay attention to the behaviors and logic. Flash is a lot more forgiving of errors than HTML. When I have audited forms of customers reporting problems after switching to HTML I typically find flaws in behaviors and/or logic. If you are running into problems please make sure to do a full audit of all of your behaviors.

dmiller
    Participant

Hi Dennis

I took your advice and rebuilt the form. Removed most of the behaviours and deleted most of the tables as they do not function as well in HTML as they did in Flash. Right from the start of the build the form would perform very poorly on Internet Explorer 8. Is there a known issue with IE8 and the new version of Perfectforms? I have tested with other browsers on slower computers and had no performance issues.

We do know about performance issues in IE8. We are addressing them now. IE8 performance should improve with the release of V 3.5 due in October.

Can you try disabling Add-Ons in IE8 to see if that makes a difference in performance? Thanks.

dmiller
    Participant

Hi Dennis

I tried disabling all Add-Ons in IE8 and only noticed a small performance bump. Saving a form took 20 seconds instead of 25 seconds. Other browsers and IE 10 take only seconds to perform the same task. I then tried running the Microsoft Fix-it tool a few time with add-ons enabled and disabled with no luck. The Fix-It tool found no errors or issues.

Thank you for taking the time to try that and respond. It helps.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!