Can’t pass plus sign (+) in a char field to a stored proc?

Home Forum General Can’t pass plus sign (+) in a char field to a stored proc?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  pmeidinger 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

pmeidinger
    Participant

I created a Database Connection Action that passes an integer and a char(5) value to a stored procedure. I noticed that when I pass a value that contains the plus sing (+) to the char(5) parameter, the plus sign gets dropped. This is happening even when I test the action in the PerfectForms admin screen. I’m not doing any processing of the parameter in the stored procedure, just sending it back as a return parameter. Is there a workaround for this?

I assume you are getting the value from a text input field. A behavior build in to the application forces text input fields to ignore characters like “+”. You can work around this by changing the format of the text input field to “text”.

Workflow software, Process software, Procedure software

pmeidinger
    Participant

It’s not the text input that’s the problem because, like I said, this happens even when you try to test the Database Connection Action in the PerfectForms admin screen.

pmeidinger
    Participant

Also, the value that I will eventually be sending as a paramenter will be from a drop-down input, not a text field.

Can you give me an example of the value that you are passing with the “+” sign?

pmeidinger
    Participant

It’s for a student grade, so any of the following:

A+

B+

C+

D+

Special characters cannot be passed to a stored procedure. You could convert the “+” character to “plus” before it is passed to the stored procedure.

pmeidinger
    Participant

Bummer. What’s the reason for that, if you can share? Are there any other characters that can’t be passed to a procedure?

Special characters (non-alpha characters) cannot be passed to a stored procedure.

pmeidinger
    Participant

Not being able to send non-alpha characters to a stored procedure is a huge concern for me, so I went through our other forms to see which ones send data to the database via a stored proc. I tested one and was able to send this string

+_)(*&^%$#@!~`|]}[{‘”;?.>,<

to the database successfully. So it seems you *can* send special characters. However, this data came from a Text Input in the form, and my initial problem was that the plus sign wasn’t being sent from a Drop-Down. Is it just the Drop-Down that can’t send the plus sign? I know it can send the minus sign to a stored proc. It would be helpful to get a definitive answer on this issue.

The newest version (V.2.0) of the Connection Agent will handle the special characters. I will send you the link and password.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.