Check Email Formate

Home Forum General Check Email Formate

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello, I am trying to create a behavior to check that a email address is in the proper formate and not let you leave the email field unless it is.

To this end I am using a simple branch set to formula, the formula is;

[Value of field] is <> *@*.com

Where * is a wild card, can you tell what if there is one the wild card operator is.

(in Access it is *)

Thank you. Tim

ijobling
    Participant

This wouldn’t be the best way to do it. Look at a script where you use the SEARCH function. do a search for the presence of ‘@’ and ‘.’ (not sure it is entirely valid to demand COM in the email as there are many email domains that do not use COM) and if they are not found then you can ‘show message’

ps.. drop us an email at support@perfectforms.com on this. I have a form that shows this where a client wanted to present a ‘this is not a valid email’ message in his own language (ie not english) and if will show you what you need

Anonymous

Hello Ian, I tried the validation for email using the search function, I have some questions.

I notice that I can not get search to search for ‘.’, I have also tried just using ‘.’ with out ‘@’ and nothing.

Is there something special about ‘.’ that you can not search for it?.

I looked at the help file for search. would flags help?, could not make to much it.

Searches for the specified pattern within the text field and returns the position of pattern. If there is no matching pattern, -1 is returned. Flags can be used to provide more control and may be chained together if needed, as in ‘gis’.

g

Replaces all occurrences of pattern rather than just the first one.

i

The function is executed without case sensitivity.

s

Within the pattern or replace text parameters, the dot ‘.’ character matches new-line characters.

m

The caret (^) character and dollar sign ($) match before and after new-line characters. (This modifier corresponds to the multiline property of the RegExp instance.)

x

White space characters are ignored in the pattern so that you can write more readable constructors.

Could you clarify what s and m mean.

Thank you. Tim

ijobling
    Participant

‘gis’ I believe is a term used by programmers.

but for what you are looking for you do not need to worry about this

have you looked at the form that I sent you over ? the script under the validate button shows how you can check a field to ensure that the 2 components (@ and .) are present before it will allow the user to continue.

I trust you haven’t set up your script to search for ‘.’ so it shows in the behaviour window as “‘.'” ? compare what you have tried to the script in the example form I sent to check this isn’t the case

Anonymous

Ian, I have looked at the from you sent me and it dose not search(at lest for me )for .,If I enter @ in to the field and click the button it validates it. I created a 2nd button and a behavior which just searches for . and it will not do so. I know another person who uses P.F and they could could not get a search to work for ., I am not using “.” or “.”

Thanks

ijobling
    Participant

very strange… it worked when I last ran it.. but I see what you are seeing. will check it out and get back to you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.