Copy Database Connection

Home Forum Integrating PerfectForms Copy Database Connection

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  MABrown 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

MABrown
    Participant

I was wondering if there was a way to copy a database connection.

I have created a clone of an existing database (same server, new database name, same table structure, stored procedures, etc) and I have made a copy of my form. I have also created a new database entry in the config.xml file pointing to the new database. I am faced with the prospect of creating a new connection and manually replicating the actions to connect the form copy to the database copy, unless there is a way to copy the existing connection.

Could I export the connection and then re-import it with a new name, and update the datasource/database to point to the new database? Or would that cause conflicts in the system?

I do realize that, no matter what, I will have to go into the form an update the connection behaviors, but that shouldn’t be too difficult.

Please see our help guide topic on Migrating Connections: http://www.perfectforms.com/Documentation/manual/html/?admin_migrating_a_connection.htm. You can export it, import it and change the name/details.

Workflow software, Process software, Procedure software

evelina.liu
    Participant

Hi, Dennis,

Not sure if I am correct – the import/export connection probably works the best for backup purposes.

I also would like to know if there is a better solution regarding setting up new database connection. In our case, we have the need to first build out the form to point to test database table(s) (from our other enterprise systems) to test the entire business process. Then when everything is verified, the database table(s) will then be migrated to the production environment – which will then become a different datasource v.s. the test database. When I am getting ready to launch the form (or save as a new form for production usage), is it possible to just make a simple “re-pointing”, or optionally import/export the entire connection and action settings/objects, with provided datasource parameters, so that I don’t need to reconfigure the entire connection settings/actions and even the form behaviors on the production form?

Any suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.

Once you have your connection and action created it is possible to “re-point” them to a different datasource. In the connection click the button that says “Check”. it will then allow you to choose a Datasource and Database from the drop-downs below.

Of course this presumes that all of the send and receive parameters are identical, and that you have properly configured your Connection Agent to map to your datasources.

Workflow software, Process software, Procedure software

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.