File uploaded to database or Webserver

Home Forum General File uploaded to database or Webserver

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

When my customer attaches a file from their work station, the file appends itself to the form. Is the file uploaded to the web server or the database server? How can I check?

Our setup is On-Premise 1.18, Windows Webserver for the PF application, and a separate Windows SQL server for the DB.

In V 1.18 the attachment is stored in the SQL server. Version 2.0 gives you the option to save attachments to a local file system. Please let us know via our support form at http://www.perfectforms.com/support_contact.php if you are ready to update.

Workflow software, Process software, Procedure software

Anonymous

Thanks Dennis. I appreciate the response, and you’ll forgive the further questions!…

Regarding the saving to the database, if let’s say my customer:

1) attaches a 10MB file to their PF record, and clicks save

2) revisits that same record at a later date to edit another field (simple text change in a textfield)

3) then saves the record

Is the write/insert to the database for that record an incremental change, i.e. update the DB record with that one field change, or do ALL the fields, including the attachment get written to the DB again?

Regarding v2 – I’m discussing how we move towards v2 with our local supplier, but they advise we can only use a trial version on our Staging (non-public) website, which by all accounts is valid for only 30 days, and limited to x10 Users, else we would need to buy additional licenses (and I’m talking a testing service to move to a free upgrade!) neither satisfy our testing criteria, so I’m hopeful they can offer something that is more flexible to our needs.

Currently, each time an instance is submitted all of the instance data is saved to the DB again. This is necessary for a complete data history audit of each instance. I am researching for you to find out if this happens to the attachments if the attachments are being saved on the local file system. I think the answer is no it doesn’t, but I need to confirm.

Anonymous

Thanks Dennis. I appreciate the quick response. Knowing how v2 manages attachments upon save will be helpful come the upgrade. Happy holidays to you are your team.

I can confirm that the attachment will not re-save every time the instance is submitted if the attachments are being saved in a local file system in an On Premise deployment of PerfectForms.

Anonymous

Thanks Dennis. I appreciate the follow up.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.