Get Field in Other Instance

Home Forum Behaviors Get Field in Other Instance

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

this behavior doesn’t seem to work…

Is there a way to set a global variable which will be visible/accessible in all forms/pages? I’m trying out a system which requires a login, then if user exist, records of user on access level (which is modular based, add/edit/view/module) shall be set to a field (or global variable) and will be checked each time and action/button in the system is taken/pressed. I don’t want to connect to db everytime to check on this.

Thanks.

If I understand what you want to do correctly, I think the easiest way to accomplish what you want will be to use a connection rather than a get field in other instance behavior object. If the data you need is in another form instance, create a form connection. Please refer to the page in our help documentation about creating a form connection: http://www.perfectforms.com/Documentation/manual/html/?d_formsconnections.htm.

Anonymous

is that the only way to accomplish this? I prefer not to connect to the database everytime i have to check a value. Repetitive connections to the database is primitive and is not preferred since it will use up server resource which shall make the system run slow.

A form connection is very fast and from a database perspective no different than a get field from other instance. They both pull data from the database. In this case the database is all the same, it is the PerfectForms database.

I don’t understand your process fully, but if you want to use a Get Field from Other Instance object, you will still probably need a form connection to get the instance ID of the other instance. That is unless the global variable is the same for every user. If it is the same for every user you can create a global variable form with one instance and reference that instance ID in the Get Field from Other Instance behavior object in your form.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.