Help with drop down list and input box

Home Forum Behaviors Help with drop down list and input box

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ss 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

ss
    Participant

hi all,

I am having little bit of difficulty in finding a way to resolve this problem. i have one drop down list and in that list i have got value other and upon clicking on other it displays the hidden Text Input and user will enter value in Text Input. I just want to get desired value depending on selection of option by user (it should be mutually exclusive).

Is there anyway we can put in a one group and create some behaviour?

If there is any other solution to this please feel free to give any suggestion.

Many thanks

ijobling
    Participant

if you are aiming to ‘show’ this hidden field when the user has selected ‘other’ from the drop down , goto the ‘drop down changes field data’ behaviour and then simply add in a simple branch..

add 2 ‘set state’ actions, and join these to the branch..

then on the TRUE line , set the condition for ‘if other is checked’ where the set state action is set to show the hidden text field, and then the FALSE simply needs to have the set state action to hide the text field again.

more details can be found in the behavior help file

http://www.perfectforms.com/Documentation/tutorials/basic-behaviors/html/index.html

and specific to the Simple Branch here:

http://www.perfectforms.com/Documentation/tutorials/basic-behaviors/html/adding_a_branch_to_our_form.htm

You may also find that the training video’s here on behaviors will help as well:

http://www.perfectforms.com/training.php

ss
    Participant

hi,

Many thanks for quick reply. i have already done this part so when user click on other it shows hidden text input and user can easily enter text. but my question will it be possible for form to take value from text input instead of drop down how would form know where to take value from?

Another issue i have got check obligatory in page 1 inorder to check whether required data has been entered or not. but if user doesnt use hidden input text and select value from drop down, it says required data not enetered. my question: is there a way form will know that user entered value using either common inputs?

Many thanks in advance

ijobling
    Participant

Sorry, but can’t follow what you mean for your follow up question. could you drop me email at support@perfectforms.com with some contact information so I can try to understand more of the detail.. or use the support ticket as well.

Ian

re your second question.. you would need to run your check obligatory statement for the ‘other’ field here within a condition that is only running this check obligatory ‘if drop down – other’ is selected…. in much the same way that you have done this to show the text field only if they selected ‘other’

ss
    Participant

My apologies for not making things very clear. here is the scenario:

I have got drop-down for field religion and i have entered few items and one of them is other so upon clicking other, it will change state of Text Input to Normal and user will be able to type in. Now form will take value from either drop-down or text input depending on user selection. At this point my question is: do i need to put drop down and text input in one group so form will take valur from either control for one field?

Many thanks

ijobling
    Participant

Adding these 2 objects into one group may make it easier for you in terms of referencing the form objects but even if you do, you will still have to construct the appropriate behavior to pass the selection to another field as these are 2 seperate objects. In much the same was as mentioned above where you would have a branch action that is setting the value to this other field from the text field if ‘other’ is select, and if not, then setting the value from the drop down selection

ss
    Participant

Thanks ijobling. I have figured it out using advanced conditon, it was bit complicated but i did it. Basically i used “Check obligatory” for each of condition and it worked.

Thanks

ijobling
    Participant

not a problem.. but it shouldn’t be that complicated really ? I’d be happy to look at your form to see if I can help you see if there is a more effective way to do this (sure you may have similar requirements in the future). if so, drop me an email at ijobling@perfectforms.com and we can talk off topic

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.