“No records returned”

Home Forum General “No records returned”

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  reece.thompson 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

reece.thompson
    Participant

Hello Dennis,

I was curious about stored procedures.

Since a select is generally used for selecting a range of data and then returning it to the computer, you generally will always return records unless the parameters have not been met.

Then with a insert, update and delete, you generally don’t return data afterwards.

But with a stored procedure, it can always be used for multiple functions within a sql database. I’ve currently got a stored procedure that is receiving data and then using it for other means within a stored procedure. But since I’ve not specified for it to return data, i wouldn’t think it would bring back this error message but it does.

So i was wondering if this error message is intentional or you’ve designed stored procedures to always bring back data?

I am going to solve your problem without answering your question: In the properties for your Connection behavior object there is a section at the bottom called Misc. In it there is a checkbox “Show error messages”. Un-check that box.

Workflow software, Process software, Procedure software

reece.thompson
    Participant

I’m aware of the “Show error messages” fix but my boss wants to know why the software was showing the error since stored procedures don’t always bring back a result.

reece.thompson
    Participant

It’s just pure curiosity on our case. That is all.

If no Data is returned we default the error message to No Data Returned or Empty result (I dont remember the exact text). This was intentional and leave the user to decide further. This would be happening mostly in relate to Stored Procedure because of the Un-Known of what the SP is doing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.