Returning values to parent

Home Forum Parent-Child Forms Returning values to parent

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I have a form that includes a table, from where I then open a child form to capture more detail. I manage to pass information to the child form, no problem.

However, I then need to pass information from the child form back to the parent to influence the workflow. What is the correct way to do this?

As one of the Custom Parameters you are passing to the child, pass the instance ID of the Parent. In the child use a Set Field in Other Instance behavior object. Specify the form, Custom parameters, etc, and use the parent’s Instance ID to specify the parent.

Workflow software, Process software, Procedure software

Anonymous

I have tried updating the parent from the child, to no avail, setting the parent instance ID in the ‘set field in another instance’, and encountered some strange behaviour in the process.

The only way I could eventually get it to work, was by doing it from the ‘parent’ (I switched to using pseudo child forms via a table) and doing a ‘get field from another instance’

I have more similar forms to develop. Are there some specific do’s and don’ts when it comes to updating fields across forms?

As shown in this help guide page: http://www.perfectforms.com/Documentation/manual/html/?parent_instance_ids.htm both the instance ID and the parent instance ID can be accessed in the Form Designer. Select an object that will display the instance ID and on the Properties bar, make a selection from the Special value list.

You could use a Show Form behavior object to open the parent and pass a custom parameter: http://www.perfectforms.com/Documentation/manual/html/?fl_show_form.htm.

You should also be able to use a Set Field in Other Instance. As indicated in the help guide section referenced here, it is NOT necessary to pass the parent instance ID to the child, it is meta-data (I was wrong earlier).

Workflow software, Process software, Procedure software

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.