Timeout error after 20 seconds max

Home Forum General Timeout error after 20 seconds max

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Hello. We have a form, a rather large form, but well within the design guidelines that were advised in v1.18. We are now unable to publish the form. This has been a growing issue, a few weeks back when we made amends to the form, and versioned it accordingly, we started seeing the same error, but after the 2nd of 3rd try the form was published. In the last 48 hours when the server has been exceptionally quiet, we have been unable to publish the latest version.

We can edit, we can save, we can design and create a new version. The problem appears to be with the Publishing feature whereby we receive a “timeout” error consistently within 20 seconds of clicking the button. My connection speed (Download) is 12-14Mbps. See error message below:

Publish Form

An error has occurred.

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding

How can we resolve this? Thanks

Anonymous

Hello,

I am having the same problem with my forms. I am running v1.18 as well. I have a T1 connection so I don’t think that is the problem.

Anonymous

Dennis – I able to fix (well not fix) but find a way around the problem. I restarted my server and it must of reset the time out because I can publish my new forms now.

Anonymous

Is there another way of addressing this, other than restarting the server?

Anonymous

Dennis- I am having the same problem again. Any luck with a solution. FYI: I did backup my Perfect forms data base today.

Here is our recommended maintenance procedure SQL Server (not SQL Express) for an On Premise Installation:

Perfect Forms

Production Server Configuration

– Best Practices for Customers

INTRODUCTION

Perfect Forms is a user friendly code free application / package development tool. Perfect Forms uses Flex based Client Interface and SQL Server for data storage and most of the business rules.

SCOPE

This document provides an over view of the recommended Server settings for production purposes specific to PerfectForms and not for any other products / applications. The guidelines and configuration settings provided in this document are worked out based on the requirement for hosting the perfect form application, databases and related window and web services. This document does not provide information about the application level details.

OBJECTIVE

Objective of this document is to provide guidelines about server configuration for improved and problem free performance for both application and database hosting servers.

APPLICATION SERVER CONFIGURATION

Server requirements

– Processor

– RAM 8 GB

– Storage

o Root Drive Minimum 10 GB

o Data / App Drive Minimum 100 GB

– Page File 5 GB / Drive to be used (C: Drive should never be used)

– Operating System Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition(64 bit)

Configuration – Application

– Drive C: should be opted to hold only binaries related to Operating System Software

– Proper folder structure for holding the installation binaries

– A separate Program Files Folder should be created in the App / Data drive. This drive should be used to hold the binaries related to all other applications under separate folders

– Application binaries related to PerfectForms should be placed in a dedicated folder under drive, for e.g., PFApp.

– Application related logs should be placed in a folder under drive, for e.g., PFLogs.

Maintenance

– Periodical cleanup for unwanted / outdated files / log files to be setup

– Drive sizing monitoring on weekly basis

DATABASE SERVER CONFIGURATION

Following recommendations are based on a standard deployment catering for a few hundred thousand forms and a few hundred thousand users where the concurrent database connections are likely to be around 100 – 300. The actuals may vary depending on the size of the database and so the number of forms and form instances.

Server requirements

– Processor

– RAM 8 GB

– Storage

o Root Drive Minimum 50 GB

o Data Drive Minimum 200 GB

o Log Drive Minimum 100 GB

o Backup Drive Minimum 200 GB

o TempDB Drive Minimum 50 GB

o Page Minimum 10 GB

– In the absence of dedicated drives, Non root drive should be used with appropriate separation in the form of dedicated folders

– Operating System Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition(64 bit)

Configuration – Storage

– Non Root Drive: should be opted to hold binaries related to SQL Server System Software

– A separate Program Files Folder should be created in the Non Root drive. This drive should be used to hold the binaries related to all other applications under separate folders.

– All system databases should be using the Non Root drive.

– Data, Log files should be held in a dedicated drive or folder

– Physical related to tempdb should be placed at a dedicated drive / folder as appropriate.

– Database backup files should be placed in a dedicated drive / folder as appropriate.

Configuration – SQL Instance

– As far as possible, Processor and memory settings should be left to use default values

– If the transaction increases over a period of time, memory settings can be set for min server memory and max server memory. This is to reserve memory for the SQL Instance.

– Default locations for data, log and backup file location must be set.

– AWE should not enabled

Maintenance

Databases are best maintained by Qualified DBAs. Although, Perfectforms provides the following best practices for database maintenance activities based on the standard implementation, it also recommends that a qualified DBA’s expertise be sought for maintaining the databases. Especially, it is mandatory that perfectforms databases are maintained by Qualified DBAs when the size grows beyond 50 GB.

– Periodical cleanup for unwanted / outdated files / backup sets to be setup

– Database backup as below

o Weekly full (With compression enabled),

o Daily differential (With compression enabled)

o 3 hourly transactional (to be decided with management)

– Maintenance / cleanup history – weekly during low database traffic hours.

o Cleanup log entries (SQL Server / Agent)

o Cleanup of Old transaction log backup / differential backup files / Full backup files

– Database sizing monitoring on weekly basis using the following commands immediately after a transactional backup task every week.

o USE <FormsDB>

o DBCC SHRINKFILE (<FormsDB_Log>, 1024, TRUNCATEONLY)

o USE <ReportsDB>

o DBCC SHRINKFILE(<Reports_Log>,1024,TRUNCATEONLY)

– Reindexing of tables having high rate of fragmentation. This can be achieved by invoking a store procedure (Script provided by Perfectforms along with installer)

o Execute the Store procedure as given below

 EXEC <FormsDB>.adm.Index_Defrag 10, 30, 1

 EXEC <ReportsDB>.adm.Index_Defrag 10, 30, 1 ).

o However, this needs to be executed through a maintenance plan through a SQL task during non-business hours.

Note:

Perfect forms recommends that periodical review of database maintenance plans, size of databases and performance be undertaken with the help of a qualified DBA.

Workflow software, Process software, Procedure software

Anonymous

Dennis can you clarify this process or list a procedure?

USE <FormsDB>

o DBCC SHRINKFILE (<FormsDB_Log>, 1024, TRUNCATEONLY)

o USE <ReportsDB>

o DBCC SHRINKFILE(<Reports_Log>,1024,TRUNCATEONLY)

– Reindexing of tables having high rate of fragmentation. This can be achieved by invoking a store procedure (Script provided by Perfectforms along with installer)

o Execute the Store procedure as given below

 EXEC <FormsDB>.adm.Index_Defrag 10, 30, 1

 EXEC <ReportsDB>.adm.Index_Defrag 10, 30, 1 ).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.