Using a table for data entry: use Key Is Pressed behavior to add a new row?

Home Forum General Using a table for data entry: use Key Is Pressed behavior to add a new row?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  pmeidinger 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

pmeidinger
    Participant

I have a data table and I’d like to be able to add a new row to it when the user is in the last column and hits the Enter key. The form is for data entry and I’d like it to be as keyboard-friendly as possible. Is there a way to determine what key was pressed by the user in the Key Is Pressed behavior of a Text Input object? Or is there another way to add a new row to the table so the user doesn’t have to?

CJ Hines
    Participant

What I would suggest for you in this case would be just to add multiple rows before starting your data entry. Then you would be able to TAB down to the next existing row. When you run out of rows you can pause then add more rows and then continue on with your data entry.

pmeidinger
    Participant

I had thought about that, but I made the columns in the table mandatory, so the user would have to delete any empty rows anyway. But I could try removing any completely empty rows automatically when they submit the data.

tmrhymer
    Participant

I think this might be another good place to use separate input fields outside of the table to handle your inputting. You would have a button that adds those fields to a new row in the table and then sets the focus back to the first field. And with this method once you tab past the last field and focus is on the “input button”, your users would be able to hit enter and you could add the fields to the table, clear the fields, and return focus to the first field ready for the next row to be entered.

pmeidinger
    Participant

You’re probably right, tmrhymer. That would be easy to do and would work prett well. I just really want this table control to do what I want.

tmrhymer
    Participant

lol i hear ya.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.