Workflow Stages Part 3 of 5

Home Forum WorkFlow Workflow Stages Part 3 of 5

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  ehuezo 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

ehuezo
    Keymaster

Hello PerfectForms Users,
    Today we will be going in depth about building out your form out in stages. This means I will be providing you with some options to make setting states easier. We will also provide some background knowledge for roles.

A role is an option you add in the workflow editor. Roles are tied to an email or a user to be utilized in notifications, and states. With this additional parameter you can build more robust conditional logic. For example: If 2 people are accessing the form in the same stage you can add logic to let person 1 know they are not needed at that stage, close the form and allow person 2 to view the stage.

Now that we some background I will move to discussing editing forms on the canvas. Editing states this way will allow you to modify many objects rapidly and provide a clear visual representation. To use this functionality you will want to click browser in your tool box as depicted in the image below:

img1

The next step will be to scroll down to the section depicted below:

img2

The Stage and Role dropdowns can be selected in any combination. A major benefit with this feature is “What You See I What You Get”. The selected role and the selected stage will provide you with an overview for specifically that situational combination. If you select stage 1 and look at the form designer you will see the form as it would be in stage 1. If you change the state of any object in that stage it will be accompanied by an indicator that will let you know its state at a glance. The state of an object can be selected in the right pane after clicking it, the options will be default, normal, hidden, disabled, and read-only. Default can be hard to work with, this state means the object will remain in whatever state it was last. Read only is an option that is not available for all objects. This state means you can copy and read clearly but not change, any object that does not have read only will still have disable available. Disable will appear grayed out and you will not be able to click the object or change the data.

How I like to use this feature is by doing the following:

-Select a stage
    -Select a role
    -Select all the objects I would like a certain state
    -Change the state dropdown to the preferred state.
    -Change to the next role
    -Repeat

Once I have gone through each role I change to the next stage and repeat the process. This definitely can take time however, I can promise it will save you time in the long run as you can see everything laid out as desired while in development.

*HINT:
    Another way to use this option is to click preview with a selected stage and role. The form will preview in the stage and role selected providing you the benefit of an HTML view. This functionality will make your troubleshooting easier as you do not need to run through your whole process to get to the desired stage.

The second option for setting states by stage and role may be quicker once you get the hang of it depending on each user. If you click an object then click the three dots next to state on the right pane you will find an entire overview that looks like a spreadsheet. The left side is stages and the right is roles, as you add more stages or roles the sheet will grow. If you treat this like the method use on the live view it should make things easier. Start on the left side where stages are, spot the first line and go to the first role. Under each role you will see a drop down to select the state you would like for the corresponding stage. Select the state you would like then move to the next role. Once you have addressed all the roles for that stage move to the next stage and continue in the same fashion. This feature can also be used when you have selected multiple like objects.

*HINT:
    It is important to remember what these options do. Only the default state for that stage and role will be modified. If you have behaviors to show or hide based on an action your configured objects will be overridden.

Thank you for your time today, if you have any further questions please feel free to post below.
    Happy Form Building!
    -Eric

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.